7 Must Have Pieces To Transition From Summer To Fall
As the hundred days of summer come to an end, once again, we face the eternal wardrobe dilemma: what does one wear during this tricky season where the days are still pretty warm and the nights are getting increasingly nippier? While it may be too soon to bring out the heavy duty winter staples, gone are the days where we can throw on our quintessential summer uniform of tank tops and shorts/skirts.
The key to dressing appropriately this season is one magical word: LAYERING. It’s also all about the fabrics, with summer lightweights making way for heavy cottons, neoprenes and the like. Statement outerwear that doubles up as entire outfits by themselves are also definitely on this season’s list of must-haves.
We have shortlisted a few wardrobe essentials for the season – separates, dresses and outerwear to take you from day to night and keep you as cool or warm as desired.
1. The Midi Shirt Dress – With the onset of the fall, hemlines are getting longer and while we can’t quite give up on our light, breezy summer shirt dresses just yet, choosing ones in midi lengths would be a wise sartorial decision for the season.
Akaaro Ivory Striped Shirt Dress (Shop Here)
2. The Lightweight Cape – A light cotton or linen cape is an absolute must have for the season as it goes well with a variety of silhouettes, layers beautifully and is so on trend right now!
11:11 Rust Red Cape (Shop Here)
3. The Gauzy Scarf – While pashminas are best saved for winter, gauzy cotton scarves are a great add on to your wardrobe this season – it doesn’t hurt that there’s a plethora of prints and colours to choose from.
Shingora Multi Colored Scarf (Shop Here)
Style Tip: Pair the dress, the cape and the scarf for a casual chic day look (just like the one below) – the scarf and cape can be shed at any given time if it gets too hot!
Urvashi Kaur LFW W/F 15 (Shop Look Here)
4. The Heavy Duty Crop Top – More substantial than the itsy bitsy crop tops we favored this summer, these can be teamed up with skirts and trousers alike to show just enough skin for our liking this season.
Nida Mahmood Embroidered Crop Top (Shop Here)
5. The Heavy Duty Midi Skirt – Same principle again. A summer staple we can carry on to the current season by choosing heavier fabrics and continue with the tried and tested silhouette of our liking.
Payal Pratap Pixel Print Skirt (Shop Here)
6. The Mid Length Jacket – While it might not get that cold just yet, it would be a smart move to carry a light mid length jacket along for your evenings out just in case.
Archana Rao Color Blocked Jacket (Shop Here)
Style Tip: Crop tops and midi skirts are a fashion match made in heaven and don’t blame us if we can’t put them away just yet. The key to transition the look is to choose ones in heavier fabrics and carry along a mid-length jacket for a flirty evening look.
Armaan Aiman LFW W/F’15 (Shop Look Here)
7. The Floor Length Jacket – While we love the classic ‘Burberry trench worn as dress’ look, this season we are quite enamored by the embroidered floor length Anarkali jackets. While layering them with your outfit might be more winter appropriate, they cut quite a statement worn by themselves as a night look. Much like the anarkali am:pm jacket below that we absolutely love!
am:pm Anarkali Jacket at LFW W/F’15 (Shop Here)
For more summer-to-fall wardrobe options, visit www.exclusively.com and get yourself the complete on-trend, season appropriate wardrobe.